Hello and welcome! Last week I mentioned that I bought more neons for my collection, and this week I get to play with them!
Unlike last week, I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the design. It definitely makes life much less stressful, and adds a little bit of anticipation to the week. Do you ever get so excited for your planned manicure that you just want to change your nails immediately? But anyways, I found my design inspiration on Pinterest and thought it was just a genius way to use all of my new polishes. The original image is much more dainty and pastel, but this is definitely something that would work with any color combination. (I can’t find who actually did them, though)
What I Used:
- Base Coat: Glisten & Glow – Base Coat
- 1st Color: Cirque Colors – Hedonist
- 2nd Color: Cirque Colors – Boozy Brunch
- 3rd Color: Cirque Colors – Retail Therapy
- 4th Color: Top Shelf Lacquer – Black Raspberry Vanilla Smoothie
- 5th Color: Pure Ice – Stars Aligned
- 6th Color: Cirque Colors – Cyber
- Top Coat: Glisten & Glow – Top Coat
- Twinkled T striping tape
- Bundle Monster Poli-Peel cuticle protector
- nail polish remover
- Twinkled T clean up brush, size #2
I actually had a bit of a false start this week. I made the mistake of trying to do my base color late at night. I did the base coat, and two quick and sloppy coats of yellow. But since it was so late, and I rushed so much, they just weren’t drying quickly enough for me to go to bed. So I took that off and tried again the next day. The second time went a lot more smoothly. I applied the base coat, and two coats of Cirque Colors – Hedonist. It was almost three, but since most of the nail was going to be covered up, I let it go.
Next, I grabbed the striping tape and made a little triangle with the tip towards the center of my nail. And as a ‘just in case’, I applied liquid latex around the triangles. Which was very needed because as I was applying the orange, I realized it was pretty hard to stay in the lines. Before moving on to the next color, I had to wait for the orange to dry. Which I quickly learned, made this mani take a very, very, very long time to do.
Once the orange was dry, striping tape went right on top of it. And another piece went from the center tip, outward (next to the orange). And I finished it off with more liquid latex around the new triangle.
It was the same step for every single color: wait for polish to dry, apply tape over just-dried polish, apply another piece of tape diagonally to the first, paint color. The waiting was the worst part. And I noticed that the further along I got, the sloppier my lines and application were. You can tell that by the time I got to the blue and green, the lines are much less clean. But at least it’s not noticeable from far away.
I ended up working on this until about midnight. On a work night! I haven’t had that late of a polish session in a really long time. It definitely made me sleepy the next day. But at least I can say they turned out just how I wanted them to: bright, fun, and playful. And after looking at them all finished, they look exactly like a color wheel.
Have a great week everyone! Hope you get more sleep than I did
Apparently the lighting at work is a lot more harsh than I realized. I know I got sloppy with those last few colors, but in certain lighting you could see just how bad those sections were. If they hadn’t been sealed with top coat, I probably would have been messing with them. And trying to fix the spots that looked bad. But in the end, I barely touched my nails. They got tiny chips, just from me living life. The biggest problem, though, was that they were too long. I was constantly tempted to bite them and make them shorter. I didn’t. But I really, really wanted to.